Discovery


The first time I remember that I could do something well, was when I learned how to make a Granny Square Afghan.

My memory of this event came after seeing an afghan my maternal grandmother made. Her pattern was created with monochromatic colors in the center of each square. Each center was designed with assorted shades of blue, red, orange, green or yellow. Every block was then outlined in black and the entire blanket edged in a simple black scallop. I thought it was beautiful! I wanted to learn how to make this blanket.

One day while I was at her home, I asked her to teach me to make an afghan just like hers. This day began with a trip to the basement of her farmhouse. In the dark basement—which I always found a little scary—was the cabinet that had the many remnants of her previous projects. There were little bits of wool yarn, metal crochet hooks and an assortment of other colorful threads. We searched through the cabinet until we found just the right supplies. This began my learning experience and what later would become a favorite pastime. My grandmother was going to teach me how to crochet.

Now, looking back, I don’t remember the process of learning to crochet, but I do remember turning out neat little squares. As I completed each one, I took pride in stacking them into neat little towers. With each small square, each accomplishment, I just knew that someday it would be an amazing blanket. It never was. I never completed the project. What I do remember about that day, was the musty smell of basement, the subdued lighting, the adventure of sharing this time with her and the fun I had.

I did learn how to crochet. I learned how to do it well. I was proud of what I could do. I knew I could create many more beautiful items. I had accomplished more than crocheting. I found that I had an intimate bond with my grandmother.

Years later, I crocheted. I crocheted often. My prolific creations included scarves and hats, countless afghans and delicate edges on linen handkerchiefs. Eventually, I did make an afghan just like grandmothers. This was my own personal success! And…my passion for crocheting continued for many years.

Throughout the years, I’ve enjoyed the adventure of finding these handmade ‘treasures’ that were created by others. Often people discard their beginning creations, but I continue to collect them, finding these small treasures at craft bazaars, flea markets or yard sales. These tiny bits and pieces can still inspire me to create and they always remind me of my grandmother.

I know I have encouraged others to be creative, to learn a new craft and my continued thought is to do this for many more years. Being an inspiration to others may not necessarily come through teaching someone to crochet, but my wish is to inspire others to have a memory moment, try something new and share your gifts.

My grandmother did. I hope you’ll do the same.

This would be doing something well.

Comments

Popular Posts