A Day I Would Like To Live Over

The day I would enjoy reliving is Friday, April 7, 1974. On this day, I was a young, vibrant and happy woman at the beginning of a fresh new life. It was the day I was first married.

What began as a day to celebrate with a spring wedding became the day of an unexpected spring blizzard. With the anticipation of a smooth running day, I woke to the forecast of cold weather and the possibility of snow. In the morning, I was scheduled to pick up my wedding dress, but the sky was already heavy grey and the snow showers had begun. By mid afternoon, the weather continued to worsen and the snow was accumulating on the ground.

We arrived at the church by 5:30 p.m. after traveling over the roads which were already covered with heavy, wet and slippery snow. The wedding was planned as a 7:00p.m. candlelight service. Slowly our guests began to arrive at the church just minutes before the ceremony was to begin. As they entered they took time to dust off the snow, remove their coats and boots and left them in orderly rows in the vestibule.

While the weather outside continued to get colder, the weather inside the church became warmer. The sanctuary was infused with the warmth of the low lights, the candles glowing and the peaceful music of the church organ playing in the background. The evening couldn’t have been any better! You could feel the closeness, intimacy and loving feelings which filled the church. Despite the unpleasant weather, it was one of my best evenings and a time I would cherish.

The ceremony commenced beginning with the minister’s words, continued with prayers being said and promises exchanged to live in permanence with another. The combination of these events all gave warmth of spirit and color to what was an otherwise pallid winter day.

After our “I dos” and “the kiss”, our photos were taken. The best moment—the truly most unforgettable moment—was when we were reenacting the lighting of the unity candle. In that briefest of moments, the intensity of love and the feeling of completeness overwhelmed me. I was married! It was at that very moment that I knew my life would never be the same.

Now, 38 years later I continue to remember that evening as if it was yesterday. It is a moment that was filled with joy, happiness and love. This is what makes our memories. This is our time to relive those special moments and to enjoy our do over.

Comments

Popular Posts